Conversation between a lawyer and an architect!

During the course of a usual conversation between me (a lawyer-to-be) and my sister (an architect), we happened to discuss the need for basic architectural knowledge for an interior designer.

While trying to explain the same, she told me that even an interior designer needs to have a fair idea about the dimensions, areas etc etc of the space they are designing. To this I responded, "But they just tell what is to be kept where, what kind of lighting, furniture, curtains should be used in co-ordination with the wall colours and other similar things."

"Well", she said, "they also look into the flooring, which requires a knowledge about areas, scaling, drafting the designs etc." She added, "As a matter of fact, interior designers charge in terms of per square meter too, just as an architect charges per square meter for the design/lay-out."

I still had my doubts. Probing further, I said, "It makes sense for an architect to charge per square meter because she/he, while designing, works upon the entire land area. While an interior designer, on the other hand, only tells what flooring to be done on the entire floor!"

I had more to say, and my architect sister was waiting for my wise logic, which of course failed her!

While carrying out some quick mental mathematics in my brain, I asked, "What if someone hiring the services of an interior designer needs to get only certain square meters of area designed, for instance, the space occupying the cabinet, the television, the mirror, the bed etc, can they pay only for the designed area and not the entire floor space, per se!?? Also, the flooring (tiles - their design, size, colour etc) is easy, so I can do that myself!!!"

Hearing my intentions and methods thereof to get out of paying an architect/interior designer, my sister gave me the look which simply read - "THIS is why architects prefer not to design a lawyer's house!!!!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Just Friends"

Is it tea time yet?!

I FEAR